What is Online Counselling?
Online counselling is an internet based counselling service, where a client can seek the services of a mental health professional in the comfort of their own home. Online counselling services are typically offered through email interactions or Skype sessions.
Why Online Counselling?
On the one hand, not everybody is able to attend a scheduled face-to-face counselling session due to time or travel constraints. On the other hand, not everybody wants to. Deciding to seek help can often be scary and overwhelming. Using online counselling can take away a bit of the ‘scariness’ of attending a face-to-face session.
What are the benefits?
- Time to reflect
- More cost effective
Is this for you?
Online Counselling would benefit:
- Anybody who needs assistance in navigating their way through the chaos of daily life.
- Anyone looking for insight into their emotions, thoughts and behaviours.
- Anybody with a busy schedule or who travels often and would not be able to attend regular appointments.
- Someone who is unable to leave their home due to disability or limited access to resources.
Is this not for you?
Online counselling is not for everyone. If you meet any of the below criteria then you would benefit from more immediate face-to-face counselling.
- If you are suffering from severe depression or displaying suicidal or homicidal behaviour
- If you are in a crisis or emergency situation
- Children / Teens (under the age of 18 years)
- If you require couples counselling
- If you are experiencing hallucinations
- If you are seeking legal, financial or medical help
The Process of Online Counselling
Currently, online counselling will be offered through email packages. How does it work? Three simple steps:
- Pop me a message indicating your interest in online counselling. We can work together to determine the best package for you. Once a package has been chosen, the corresponding payment must be made.
- Send me your first official email. Please include:
- As much background information as possible (don’t worry about keeping it short and sweet – write down as much or as little as you want. The more information you provide the better understanding I will have of you and your counselling needs.)
- Your reason(s) for seeking online counselling.
- Your counselling goals (what do you hope to achieve through online counselling?)
- I will respond to your email within two working days.
The Cost of Online Counselling
Please understand that counselling will only proceed once a package has been chosen and payment has been made.
1 back-and-forth email: R200 // 2 back-and-forth emails: R360 // 3 back-and-forth emails: R550 // 4 back-and-forth emails: R740
If you are in a crisis situation and require immediate assistance, or if any of the above applies to you and you’re not sure who to contact, I have listed some contact numbers below.
Child Line: 0800055555
Life Line: 021 461 1113 (Western Cape) 011 728 1331 (Gauteng)
Rape Crisis 24hr Crisis Line: 021 447 9762
SADAG (South African Depression and Anxiety Group): 011 234 4837
Suicide Crisis Line: 0800 567 567 or SMS 31393
Department of Social Development Substance Abuse 24hr Helpline: 0800 12 13 14 or SMS 32312